Re: 2.6.17-rc6-mm2

On 6/16/06, Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:

So to recap:
 - http is fundamentally weaker, and needs some server-side help to work
 - rsync is fine for the initial clone, but doesn't actually know what
   it's doing, so the end result can actually even be a corrupted
   repository, because you happened to rsync just as it was updating.
 - the native git protocol generally should be considered the golden
   standard, where the other ones are just fallbacks in case of problems
   (like firewalls that don't let git:// through, or more commonly hosted
   servers that don't do the git protocol at all).

Which hopefully clarifies the issue a bit.

Thanks for explanation. Unfortunately I can't use git:// with "git
pull" (at least in git-1.3.2). First it does some traffic, that
suddenly stops - I guess the server starts doing *something*, perhaps
preparing the update for me or whatnot. After a pretty long while it
sends some more data but in the meanwhile my ADSL router dropped the
NAT entry and git sits on my side waiting for data forever. Recently I
tried the same on a system with direct Inet connection and that worked
just fine.

I suggest adding SO_KEEPALIVE option on the git socket.

Goo