Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

On 6/14/06, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
Passes 8 hours of me trying to intentionally break it with weird,
artifical disk corruption.

I even have script somewhere.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

> Unless I'm misunderstanding something, JFS also has a
> working fsck
> (which has actually performed successful repair of
> real-world
> filesystem corruption for me, although I haven't used it
> as much as
> e2fsck or xfs_repair).

...like, if it repaired 100 different, non-trivial corruptions, that
would be argument.

In the case of XFS, I've repaired maybe two dozen (or so) corruptions
that might be non-trivial (in most of the cases, the filesystem
wouldn't even mount before the repair).

fsck.ext2 survives my torture (in some versions). fsck.vfat never
worked for me (likes to segfault), fsck.reiser never worked for me.

BTW, I actually have a test filesystem here (an e2image from an actual
filesystem I encountered once) that used to cause e2fsck 1.36/1.37 to
segfault. Strangely, more ancient versions (like what ships in Red Hat
7.2) were able to repair it without segfaulting. In a few days, once
other stuff calms down for me, I need to revisit that and see if the
bug still exists with 1.39.
--
-Barry K. Nathan <[email protected]>