Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/2] in-kernel sockets API

Brice Goglin wrote:

What about GPL modules that don't want to get merged ? I don't know any
such module that could use this API. But at least there are some webcam
drivers that don't seem to want to be merged (I don't know why).

There are valid reasons for GPL code to not be merged into mainline.

I (and I'm sure there are others) work on GPL modules/patches that have no hope of making it into mainline because they're too specialized. Custom netfilter modules, drivers for special hardware, scheduler changes, additional instrumentation, etc.

Plus, we're usually working on a stabilized older version, so it's a lot of extra work to regenerate it against current versions to even try and merge it.

The source all goes to the customer but it just wouldn't make sense to have it in mainline.

So the "churn mainline to punish out-of-tree code" argument doesn't make sense to me. If there's a good reason for the change, then go for it--but change just to make it hard for out of tree code is simply annoying.

Chris