Re: 2.6.17: networking bug??

Mark

From everything I have read so far (which admittedly hasn't been everything) it sounds like the firewall in question was a ticking timebomb. If 2.6.17 hadn't set it off, something else might very well have done so.

Or, if you prefer another metaphore, 2.6.17 was simply the last in a series of straws on the back of the camel what was the firewall. Meta issues of whether or not the camel that is firewalls should have ever been allowed to poke its nose in the Internet Tent notwithstanding :)

At the very least, the firewall, if it is going to be "stateless," has to strip the window scaling option from the SYN's that go past. Otherwise, I would be inclined to agree with David that the firewall is fundamentally broken.

rick jones