Re: 2.6.17: networking bug??

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, John Heffner wrote:
The best thing you can do is try to find this broken box and inform its owner
that it needs to be fixed.  (If you can find out what it is, I'd be interested
to know.)  In the meantime, disabling window scaling will work around the
problem for you.

Well, arguably, we shouldn't necessarily have defaults that use window scaling, or we should have ways to recognize automatically when it doesn't work (which may not be possible).

It's not like there aren't broken boxes out there, and it might be better to make the default buffer sizes just be low enough that window scaling simply isn't an issue.

I suspect that the people who really want/need window scaling know about it, and could be assumed to know enough to raise their limits, no?

Agreed.  It's taken me over a month here to realize that the particular
webserver in question (www.everymac.com) wasn't "dead", but merely being
blocked by my 2.6.17 kernel.  All was fine with 2.6.16, as I discovered today.

I wonder how many other "dead sites" there are out there,
that will be shut off from people when they "upgrade" to 2.6.17 ?

I'm a kernel hacker.  Most users of 2.6.17 will not be.
The default should be something that works "by default".

Cheers