Re: 2.6.17-rc5-mm2

(Ingo, I got your e-mail too, and I will reply to it once I've
followed your instructions.)

On 6/1/06, Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:
Damn, sorry.  LLC is completely borked.  You should emphatically set
CONFIG_LLC=n.

Just one problem with that...

config ATALK
       tristate "Appletalk protocol support"
       select LLC

This box runs netatalk for both file and print service, but I could
temporarily disable it for testing... Ok, the kernel's up and running
w/o CONFIG_LLC and CONFIG_ATALK now, and the warning still happened at
boot time, but it has stayed up for over an hour without keeling over
with a panic.

It looks like netatalk was fixed at some point so that it can do AFP
over TCP without the presence of a running atalkd, so unless I buy a
really old used Mac, I shouldn't need CONFIG_ATALK for the file server
anymore. Also, to make a *long* story short, I also should be able to
get rid of the print server in a few weeks. I'll still need to
occasionally boot back into a CONFIG_ATALK kernel to use the print
server until then, but I should be able to run an ATALK-less kernel
for days at a time (i.e. when the print server is not in use)...
--
-Barry K. Nathan <[email protected]>