Re: [ckrm-tech] [RFC 3/5] sched: Add CPU rate hard caps

Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 14:04 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
Hi, Kirill,

Kirill Korotaev wrote:
Do you have any documented requirements for container resource management? Is there a minimum list of features and nice to have features for containers
as far as resource management is concerned?
Sure! You can check OpenVZ project (http://openvz.org) for example of required resource management. BTW, I must agree with other people here who noticed that per-process resource management is really useless and hard to use :(

I totally agree.

"nice" seems to be doing quite nicely :-)

To me this capping functionality is a similar functionality to that provided by "nice" and all that's needed to make it useful is a command (similar to "nice") that runs tasks with caps applied. To that end I've written a small script (attached) that does this. As this is something that a user might like to combine with "nice" the command has an option for setting "nice" as well as caps.

Usage:
        withcap [options] command [arguments ...]
        withcap -h
        [-c <CPU rate soft cap>]
        [-C <CPU rate hard cap>]
        [-n <nice value>]

        -c Set CPU usage rate soft cap
        -C Set CPU usage rate hard cap
        -n Set nice value
        -h Display this help

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce