Re: [ckrm-tech] [RFC 3/5] sched: Add CPU rate hard caps

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 09:26 +1000, Peter Williams wrote:
> Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 14:04 +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> >> Hi, Kirill,

> > I totally agree.
> >> I'll take a look at the references. I agree with you that it will be useful
> >> to have resource management for a group of tasks.
>
> But you don't need something as complex as CKRM either.  This capping

All CKRM^W Resource Groups does is to group unrelated/related tasks to a
group and apply resource limits.

> functionality coupled with (the lamented) PAGG patches (should have been
> called TAGG for "task aggregation" instead of PAGG for "process
> aggregation") would allow you to implement a kernel module that could
> apply caps to arbitrary groups of tasks.

I do not follow how PAGG + this cap feature can be used to put cap of
related/unrelated tasks. Can you provide little more explanation,
please.

Also, i do not think it can provide guarantees to that group of tasks.
can it ?