Re: XFS related hang (was Re: How to send a break? - dump from frozen 64bit linux)

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 12:14:04AM +0200, Janos Haar wrote:
> [...]

Can you describe your hardware a bit more?  (and send xfs_info
output too please).

> I often need to reboot, and run xfs_repair, to make it clean. (nodes hangs,
> reboots, etc...)

Ehrm, hmm, that smells fishy... does this device have a write
cache enabled by any chance?

> Now is my default reboot option is xfs_repair -L, so i dont know, this
> happens before, or after, sorry.

Oh, thats bad, all bets are off then - you really cant go doing
that routinely, thats an "in emergency only" big red button -
it throws away the contents of the journal, and will pretty much
guarantee filesystem corruption.

But, it sounds alot like you may have a big hardware reliability
issue there, which is going to make it difficult to distinguish
any software problems.  However, if you find a way to reproduce
that quota accounting problem (above), I'm all ears.

cheers.

--
Nathan