Re: broadcom 5752 in HP dc7600U works on 2.6.13 but does not working on 2.6.16

Andrew Morton wrote:
Barry Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
Under FC4's build of 2.6.13 the broadcom 5752 works well. But when the
 I use the FC4 build of 2.6.16 it no long works.

 The hardware is an HP dc7600U, P4 2.8GHz CPU, 512MB memory
 SATA disk.

 mii-tool correctly reports the state of the eth0. Removing and inserting the
 cable is reported as expected. But DHCP or static IP configuration does not
 work under 2.6.16.

 In dmesg output on 2.6.16 I see this message:
 ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

I have recompiled the 2.6.13 version of tg3.c for 2.6.16 and that does not fix
 the problem.

Looking at /proc/interrupts I see that a lot of difference between .13 and .16 kernels.
 Is this related to the problem?

Attached are the output of dmesg and /proc/interrupts on 2.6.13 and 2.6.16 kernels
 as well as lspci output.

It appears that the 2.6.13 kernel did not bring up the machine's io-APICs,
but 2.6.16 did.  However you are receiving eth0 interrupts on 2.6.16 so
perhaps that's not relevant.

Don't know, sorry - tg3 works OK for most people.  You could try booting
with the `noapic' kernel paremeter, perhaps.

Note that googling for "noapic" gets 212,000 hits - we've _really_ screwed
something up in there.  Maybe one day some developer will lay hands on one
of these machines and will fix something.

If noapic doesn't work (and I suspect it won't) then a next step would be
to compile a kernel.org kernel and start enabling debug options.  It's
hard, when we don't know which kernel subsystem broke.
I'm willing to help get this fixed. I'm happy working inside kernels and drivers
but will need some guidance to know where to focus to track this down.

The obvious problem is solve is why are no interrupts being received by
the tg3.c code.

Which kernel should I use to debug this? 2.6.17 latest RC?
Which debug options do you suggest I turn on to get closer to the problem?
What information should I collect?

Barry