Re: [rfc][patch] remove racy sync_page?

[trimming CC list]

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Nick Piggin wrote:

Example?

Pretty much all of them.

Where do you wait for IO?

Would you perhaps say "wait_on_page()"?

In other words, we really _do_ exactly what you think we should do.

I still think the submitter should plug before they start a set of
requests (the submitter currently does not plug, the queue does when
it empties), and unplug when it has finished submission (not when a
process next waits, because that is suboptimal for asynch IO).

When you do this, the plug/unplug should become simple like locks too.

You're really keen on unplugging at the point of waiting. I don't get
it.

I don't know why you think this way of doing plugging is fundamentally
right and anything else must be wrong... it is always heuristic, isn't
it?

A _particular_ way of doing plugging is not "fundamentally right". I'm perfectly happy with chaning the place we unplug, if people want that. We've done it several times.

OK.

But plugging as a _concept_ is definitely fundamentally right, exactly because it allows us to have the notion of "plug + n*<random submit by different paths> + unplug".

Yeah the concept isn't bad. I think the queue based implementation, and
unplug at wait time isn't great.

And you were not suggesting moving unplugging around. You were suggesting removing the feature. Which is when I said "no f*cking way!".

It may be a good concept but if it doesn't help, then removing it is a good
idea too ;) Now I've been told it does help, so instead of removing it I
suggest changing it. Just exploring ideas.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.