Re: [rfc][patch] remove racy sync_page?

On Tuesday May 30, [email protected] wrote:
> Nick Piggin wrote:
> > Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >

> >> Why do you think the IO layer should get larger requests?
> >

> > For workloads where plugging helps (ie. lots of smaller, contiguous
> > requests going into the IO layer), should be pretty good these days
> > due to multiple readahead and writeback.
>
> Let me try again.
>
> For workloads where plugging helps (ie. lots of smaller, contiguous
> requests going into the IO layer), the request pattern should be
> pretty good without plugging these days, due to multiple page
> readahead and writeback.

Can I please put in a vote for not thinking that every device is disk
drive?

I find plugging fairly important for raid5, particularly for write.

The more whole-stripe writes I can get, the better throughput I get.
So I tend to keep a raid5 array plugged while any requests are
arriving, and interpret 'plugged' to mean that incomplete stripes
don't get processed while full stripes (needing no pre-reading) do get
processed.

The only way "large requests" are going to replace plugging is they
are perfectly aligned, which I don't expect to ever see.

As for your original problem.... I wonder if PG_locked is protecting
too much?  It protects against IO and it also protects against ->mapping
changes.  So if you want to ensure that ->mapping won't change, you
need to wait for any pending read request to finish, which seems a bit
dumb.
Maybe we need a new bit: PG_maplocked.  You are only allowed to change
->mapping or ->index of you hold PG_locked and PG_maplocked, you are
not allowed to wait for PG_locked while holding PG_maplocked, and
you can read ->mapping or ->index while PG_locked or PG_maplocked are
held.
Think of PG_locked like a mutex and PG_maplocked like a spinlock (and
probably use bit_spinlock to get it).

Then set_page_dirty_lock would use PG_maplocked to get access to
->mapping, and then hold a reference on the address_space while
calling into balance_dirty_pages ... I wonder how you hold a reference
on an address space...

There are presumably few pieces of code that change ->mapping.  Once
they all take PG_maplocked as well as PG_locked, you can start freeing
up other code to take PG_maplocked instead of PG_locked....

Does that make sense at all?  Do we have any spare page bits?

NeilBrown