Re: [RFC 0/5] sched: Add CPU rate caps

Sam Vilain wrote:
Peter Williams wrote:

Yes, but not yet publicly available. I use quilt to keep the patch series up to date and do the change as a relatively large series (30 or so) to make it easier for me to cope with changes in the kernel. When I do the next release I'll make a tar ball of the patch series available.

Of course, if your eager to start right away I could make the 2.6.17-rc4-mm1 one available?

Well a piecewise patchset does make it a lot easier to see what's going
on, especially if it's got descriptions of each patch along the way.

It's a bit light on descriptions at the moment :-( as I keep putting that in the "do later" bin.

I'd certainly be interested in having a look through the split out patch
to see how namespaces and this advanced scheduling system might
interoperate.

OK. I've tried very hard to make the scheduling code orthogonal to everything else and it essentially separates out the scheduling within a CPU from other issues e.g. load balancing. This separation is sufficiently good for me to have merged PlugSched with an earlier version of CKRM's CPU management module in a way that made each of PlugSched's schedulers available within CKRM's infrastructure. (CKRM have radically rewritten their CPU code since then and I haven't bothered to keep up.)

The key point that I'm trying to make is that I would expect PlugSched and namespaces to coexist without any problems. How it integrates with the "advanced" scheduling system would depend on how that system alters things such as load balancing and/or whether it goes for scheduling outcomes at a higher level than the task.

I'm assuming that you're happy to wait for the next release? That will improve the likelihood of descriptions in the patches :-).

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce