Re: How to check if kernel sources are installed on a system?

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 10:35:56PM -0700, 4Front Technologies wrote:
> BTW, why is Mandriva the only distro to turn OFF REGPARM?. Again, I think
> distros shouldn't be given an option to turn it off if its a good thing
> to have.
>
> Are there any good reasons why REGPARM is turned off?.
>
> ------------------
>

> Yet one more reason to have something like kernel-config (similar to
> gtk-config or xmms-config) where you can get the package's cflags,
> ldflags, other info.
>
> for example
>
> kernel-config --cflags should say -DUSE_REGPARM -I/lib/modules/blah/blah
>
> kernel-config --libdir should say where the lib/modules/blah/blah
>
> kernel-config --srcdir should say where the kernel sources are installed
> or not installed.
>
> kernel-config --configsrc should configure the kernel source with the
> running
> kernel's configuration.
>
> kernel-config --installsrc should automatically download the RIGHT source
> from the net. Right now if you go on Ubuntu or Mandrake and you try to
> install kernel source - you get the option of stripped source,
> kernel-headers, kernel-2.6.blah which may not be installed.
>
> Any comments?

This is a wrong thing to do IMHO, because it is incompatible with
cross-compilation, and the more the projects will use this method,
the more a nightmare it will become for distro maintainers. At
least when you rely on either a config file or something like this,
it's always possible to make it point to your target system's. But
when you *execute* commands on the build system, chances are that
you will not get the expected result. pcre-config, glib-config and
such are already in this case.