Re: How to check if kernel sources are installed on a system?

On 28/05/06, Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:

/boot/config-`uname -r` goes a long way, and yes I'm ignoring the "but
users CAN clobber the file if they use enough violence against their
packaging system" argument entirely. That's just a bogus one.

You are also ignoring the fact that not all distros store configs
there (and/or under that name).

Also... why would there really be a need for such a way? Not for
building anything for sure.... it's for the human. And the human seems
to just find it already (and again the boot file works well in practice
it seems)

My personal favorite is /proc/config.gz . It has the very nice
property that even if I misplace my config file (or rebuild my tree
several times with different configs and don't save the one for my
running kernel) then I can always get the config for any of the
kernels I have installed, simply by booting it (or extracting it from
the kernel image).

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html