Re: [patch 03/13] input: make input a multi-object module

Andrew Morton wrote:

>>>I still don't know what problem you're trying to solve so I cannot say.
>>
>>Maybe you know now.
>

> yup, thanks.
>
> I'd have thought that 3) is the path of least resistance.
>
> But it does require that input.c "knows" that input-ff.c was included in
> the build, which is not a thing we like to do.

Well, it's going to be included as built-in and can't be built as a
module at all, so I think it's okay for us to do so?

> Why should things in input.c call into input-ff.c, btw?  The way we
> normally would handle that is to add a register_something() API to input.c
> and input-ff.c would insert its callback via that interface.

Yes, we could easily add a callback to e.g. struct input_dev, but is
that really preferred if the input-ff.c is built-in?

And it's built-in only because: If I were to implement
register_something() stuff for this, no module would require input-ff
and it would not be loaded, even if there are ff-capable device drivers
present.

--
Anssi Hannula