Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

On 5/23/06, D. Hazelton <[email protected]> wrote:
I had planned on actually exporting the full, probed capabilities of the
devices to userspace via sysfs, though I don't know if there is a good way to
export full DDC or EDID information. Perhaps that should go somewhere
in /proc?  (I know, the kernel is moving away from information in /proc but
the sysfs "single setting per file" would mean a lot of files to contain all
the potential information)

Load an fbdev driver and look in sysfs. fbdev already has the ability
to list the valid modes via the 'modes' parameter. Copy one of those
strings into 'mode' and your more will be set.

And as you note, licensing is an issue. However, as the kernel is GPL I might
use DRM as an information source and write that code over again to sidestep
any licensing issues. (I really don't want to piss off the MIT or BSD people)

But it is very hard to merge DRM and fbdev without touching the fbdev
code and getting things mixed up.  Plus there is no guarantee that BSD
will even use your code if you keep the license clean. Other OS's
don't necessarily like the Linux fbdev model.

--
Jon Smirl
[email protected]