charset2upper broken

Charset2upper is broken, at least for utf8 (see line 41 of nls_utf8.c) Seems straightforward to fix it for the key characters a-z (0x61-0x7a), unless the uppercasing rules are stranger than I think - especially since other places have it right e.g. nls_base.c seems to have it right in its charset2upper.

I need to uppercase passwords for cifs to be able to mount to older servers (e.g. win9x and OS/2) but since I can't tell that utf8->charset2upper is broken I can't know when to fall back to the simpleminded way of uppercasing that smbfs does.

I wish we could make theis charset2upper (and charset2lower probably) optional so it could be set to null when broken or at least return an error for those cp that are broken such as utf8 so we could fall back ... (and unfortunately utf8 is the default ...)

Apparently this breaks other guys too  see below ...