Re: Invalid module format?

On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:38:23 -0700 Brian D. McGrew wrote:

> Seems my failure to post the complete set of files has caused great
> confusion.  Is that a sign of stress or frustration or both???
>
> Here is a complete listing of all the files, including the Makefile.  I
> think this is everything now.
>
> I'm facing two problems.  First, the 2.6.16 kernel won't load this
> driver; throws an invalid module format as where 2.6.15 loads it just
> fine.
>
> Secondly, the driver is supposed to allocate kernel memory that's
> accessable from userspace.  If you see the function
> alloc_ibb_user_shared(IbbSoftDev *) and the function
> alloc_ibb_image_table_mem(IbbSoftDev *, int); you'll see where I've a
> couple of attempts at calling __get_free_pages as well as a shot at
> vmalloc.  I've narrowed it down to this one section that's killing me.
>
> If anyone can offer help, that would be great because I'm just stuck on
> this and have been for six months!!!

Are you running the hardware/kernel in 32-bit mode?  or 64-bit?
(I don't know what a Dell PE1800 has/does.)
I'm guessing 32-bit due to all of the warnings I see in x86_64 mode.

The problem could be something as simple as the modules don't have
a MODULE_LICENSE() in them.  Are you running a RH/FC kernel or your
own custom kernel?  I get this when I load them:

ibb: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.

I can load/unload both of them.

---
~Randy