Re: Nvidia legal to use by end-users?

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 16:50 -0400, Don Bedsole wrote:
[...]
> Question: If I download and install the Nvidia graphics card drivers from
> their site, am I violating the GPL as an end-user?  I was thinking the the

No (if you only download, use and/or change it).

> GPL mainly covered what you are allowed or not allowed to do if you
> distribute software.  I ask because I saw on the OpenSuse site a statement to

Exactly. Which is the proof that an end-user (which per definition
doesn't distribute sofwtare) cannot violate the GPL.

> the effect that OpenSuse would not ship Nvidia, Ati drivers because some
> kernel developers consider them a violation of their copyrights.

OpenSuse is obviously not an enduser and - as a "software distributor" -
must care about the GPL.
JftSoC: This doesn't state any opinion about OpenSuse violating the
license if they distribute said drivers from Nvidia.

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services