Re: replacing X Window System !

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 02:39:37PM +0200, linux cbon wrote:
> If we have a new window system, shall all applications
> be rewritten ?

Unless you make your new system compatible with X, then all X
applications must be rewritten.

> My idea is that the kernel should include universal
> graphical support.
> And then we would NOT need ANY window system AT ALL.
> We wouldnt have 2 os (kernel and X) at the same time
> like now.
> It would be faster, simpler, easier to manage etc.

So if I get a new video card I have to get a new kernel?  Why can't I
just get an updated display system if my kernel works just fine.  RIght
now I can boot any VGA compatible card (and many others) to text mode
and work on my system, while I figure out how to get X going on my new
card.  If it was all in the kernel I am screwed if the kernel doesn't
yet support doing graphics on my new card.  I know that problem from
using Windows, although at least it eventually got better at falling
back to VGA only mode if it couldn't work with a new card.

Len Sorensen