Re: replacing X Window System !

On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:47:22 +0200, linux cbon said:

> - should the next generation window versions Y,Z etc.
> remain backward compatible with X ?

If it isn't backward compatible, people won't use it.  X may suck,
but it doesn't suck hard enough that people will abandon all their
currently mostly-working software.

> I think they should start something better and simpler
> from scratch and not backward compatible.

Feel free to write it.  Keep in mind that X doesn't even try to do
widgets - those are done in userspace libraries.  Let us know when you
have enough functionality to make converting worth thinking about.

> - should the kernel remain pure "shell" or include
> some basic universal graphical universal window system

> I think second answer.

Actually, you've proved the opposite.  Consider if the kernel had *already*
included some universal window system (we'll call it W). At that point, you
can't easily write an X, Y, or Z if you don't like W.  If anything, the
*current* W (which happens to be called X11) is *too* friendly with the kernel
already - witness all the headaches dealing with DRM and 'enable' attributes
and other hoops things have to jump through.

If anything, there should be even *less* kernel support for graphics.
That way, writing a Y or Z (or improving X) is easier to do without
destabilizing the kernel.