Re: PATCH: Fix broken PIO with libata

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Kevin Radloff wrote:
On 5/16/06, Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
On Maw, 2006-05-16 at 11:33 -0400, Kevin Radloff wrote:
> However, I still have a problem with pata_pcmcia (that I actually
> experienced also with the ide-cs driver) where sustained reading or
> writing to the CF card spikes the CPU with nearly 100% system time.

That is normal. The PCMCIA devices don't support DMA. As a result of
this the processor has to fetch each byte itself over the ISA speed
PCMCIA bus link.

Hrm, as I recall that only started happening with ide-cs sometime in
the single digits of 2.6.x.. And note that it's only maxing out at
about 1.5MB/s. Should that saturate my laptop's 1.1GHz Pentium M
processor?

Doing data xfer using PIO rather than DMA definitely eats tons of CPU cycles.

Yeap, in addition, if doing real PIO (unbuffered by the HBA), the time it takes is soley determined by what PIO mode is in use. It doesn't matter how fast the CPU is. Faster CPUs only end up wasting more cycles. :-(

--
tejun