Re: Remove silly messages from input layer.

Con Kolivas wrote:

On Monday 08 May 2006 16:43, Helge Hafting wrote:
Dave Jones wrote:
On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 12:31:23PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
If you only pressed single key -- your keyboard is crap or there's
some problem in the driver.

If you never pressed any key -- your keyboard is crap or there's
some problem in the driver.
That's hardly a constructive answer when the keyboard is a part of
a laptop.  Crap hardware exists, get used to it.
If some laptop comes with a bad keyboard, please blacklist
it so future linux users can avoid the brand when shopping
for hardware.

This is great in theory but if we end up blacklisting half of the hardware out there we're stuffed. The truth is most hardware out there is cheap and nasty and sells in vast quantities. We have workarounds for timer code being buggy on virtually half the motherboards out there on amd64 for example...
Well, it depends on how broken they are then.
These keyboards actually work, so it is not so much a case
of being broken, more a case of  "too cheap to follow the spec,
but we can still get the keypresses"?
I should have been more clear.  With blacklisting, I didn't mean
to make the driver refuse them.  I was thinking about
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/index.html
and similiar sites, where a buyer can go and look for any linux issues
with the hardware he plans to buy.  There is no problem if 50%
of all hardware ends up here - one can then read about the issues
and decide if they matter enough to get a different brand instead.

Helge Hafting