Re: Remove silly messages from input layer.

Hello!

>  > Why do you think these are false positives? They usually report real
>  > problems.
>
> Did you read my earlier posts?
> Users are seeing this *during boot*, before they've even pressed *ANY* keys.
> They're seeing it after pressing a *single* key.

If it is so (sorry for catching the thread in the middle), then it means
that there is either a bug in the keyboard driver, which should be fixed,
or a bug in the keyboard controller, which can have other side-effects
and so it should be at least reported.

> How on earth is "too many keys pressed" a useful message in this context?

I am not telling that the message has to stay intact -- it should be reworded
and rate-limited, but not hidden.

> Yes, maybe their keyboard is crap, but what is the user to do?
> Go buy a new laptop because someone else has a utopian view on how hardware should be?

No, just notice that his hardware is buggy and that it's probably a harmless
bug -- like we already do in many other cases (e.g., the 3Com drivers sometime
tell the user that his card has broken DMA, so it's going to use PIO instead).

> When a user can't do *anything* about it, it's useless, and serves
> as nothing but a cause for concern. "Oh no, is my laptop dying?".

If it's not a laptop, they can do.

When I am considering a keyboard to buy and I see this message, I usually
choose a different one immediately, because it often means that the keyboard
will react badly to fast typing.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <[email protected]>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
A student who changes the course of history is probably taking an exam.