CLONE_NEWNS and mount command?

I stumbled across the CLONE_NEWNS flag in the clone() man page and
thought I'd see if I could write a program that would let me do things
like run an sshd on my machine in a different "namespace" created
before any network filesystems were mounted (so I could run rpm
commands without NFS timeouts, etc).

In my experiments though, I got very confused. I created the attached
program, used it to exec an xterm, then in that xterm unmounted
a NFS filesystem.

It disappeared from the mounts listed by the "mount" command
in both the old and new namespace, but if I attempted to remount
the system in the old namespace I get an error telling me it is
already mounted (even though it doesn't show up). In the new
namespace where I unmounted it, I can remount it (then it shows
up again in the mount listing in both namespaces).

Should the /proc/mounts file be paying more attention to this
"namespace" thing? Is this a bug, or just the way things happen
to work out?
/* Run a process in a new "namespace".
 */
#include <sched.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <stdio.h>

#define STACK_SIZE ((20*4096)/sizeof(double))
static double stack_space[STACK_SIZE];

int
do_new_namespace(void * arg) {
   char ** argv = (char **)arg;
   execvp(argv[0], argv);
   perror("execvp");
   _exit(2);
}

int
main(int argc, char ** argv) {
   int clone_id;
   int wstat;
   pid_t kid;

   clone_id = clone(do_new_namespace, &stack_space[STACK_SIZE-2], CLONE_NEWNS,
                    (void *)(argv + 1));
   if (clone_id == -1) {
      perror("clone");
      _exit(2);
   }
   kid = waitpid((pid_t)clone_id, &wstat, 0);
   if (kid == (pid_t)-1) {
      perror("waitpid");
      _exit(2);
   }
   if ((kid == (pid_t)clone_id) && WIFEXITED(wstat)) {
      _exit(WEXITSTATUS(wstat));
   } else {
      _exit(2);
   }