Re: PCI ROM resource allocation issue with 2.6.17-rc2

> Note that the "transparent" really means that it forwards all IO resources
> even outside the windows, and the windows are really just for show.
>
> The kernel even used to totally ignore them, now it uses them as a hint
> and will _preferably_ put stuff inside the window for such bridges, if the
> windows have been set up (not all systems will even set up the windows at
> all).

Well X has support for it, but something like the quirk in the i386
fixups is needed to make it detect the Intel PCI bridge as a
transparent one..

> It really shouldn't even matter where it ends up being enabled. Trying to
> move it into the bridge window is as good as anything else, since it was
> disabled to begin with (which means that you can't necessarily trust the
> location that it was disabled _at_ - the ffff0000 value could even be just
> what the firmware left it at after doing PCI BAR sizing, although I
> suspect that it's a perfectly valid address).

Well it does, as modprobing the DRM enables the device, and we store
the values in the DRM, X then goes and moves it... and the drm gets
annoyed later,

I still haven't tracked down the problem with the BIOS but I'm on its
trail now that I've fixed the PCI resource allocation..

Dave.