Re: HP Pavilion dv5320us, amd64 'turion' cpu

On Saturday 15 April 2006 23:46, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
>On Saturday 15 April 2006 19:57, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I've been dl'ing and burning cd's and dvd's at a furious rate for
>> several days now, looking for a 64 bit distribution that will
>> actually boot on this thing, apparently in vain.  i386 stuff works
>> fine. The kubuntu 'breezy' 5.10 locks up at the ACPI line regardless
>> of what kernel options you pass trying to disable it.
>
>If you really can't get it working, building an AMD64 cross compiler
> and an AMD64 kernel on a 32bit only distribution is surprisingly
> easy. It would allow you to debug any 64bit specific problems whilst
> allowing you to fall back on the comforts of a working kernel..

I finally got kubuntu dapper to boot and run quite nicely, but the added
command line arguments to the boot added about 6 new arguments.  That
allowed me to run gparted and although it didn't act like it did, it
did shrink the ntfs partition down to about 27GB, and got rid of the
other 2 partitions.  I've already made the backup dvd's of course.  XP
is still happy in the reduced space.  But kubuntu subscribes to the Joe
Sixpack theory a bit too firmly, not even supplying an accessable
shell, just the run thingy, so I just burnt the FC5 x86-64 dvd iso, and
k3b says the checksum is fubar but every disk it said that about has
passed the disks own mediatests (so far).

So tomorrow, after church, and if the height of the yard doesn't call me
first, I'm gonna try installing that puppy.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: