Re: x86_86 SMP megaraid_mbox hangups and panics.

Ju, Seokmann wrote:
Hi,
Most of the time the server hits: "megaraid: probe new device" - with the device information, then hangs and starts the 180 second countdown: "megaraid: wait for FW to boot [blah]"
After which I get a VFS panic for not having a root disk.
This means the controller is NOT taking any commands from the driver at that time.
In other words, the F/W is NOT ready to take any command, yet.
It sounds like that the controller is NOT in good condition for some reason and needs to check sanity of it.
You may want to check with LSI logic SE team.

Thank you,

Can you confirm that you read my whole message? I might be a complete idiot, but let me reiterate some highlights and add a few more details from my last mail:

If I build a 32-bit SMP OR 64-bit UP kernel, the cards will boot and work *every time*.

Most of the time this is a *kernel panic* in megaraid_ack_sequence, somewhere through megaraid_isr in megaraid_mbox.c
*Sometimes* it results in the firmware hanging like you mentioned above.
If I compile the drivers as modules instead of statically, this *sometimes* results in the machine booting all the way. Once the machine boots up, I can give it a good 'ole I/O beatdown and it does not flinch.

As in: I boot it once, it hangs. I reboot, it panics. I reboot, it panics. I reboot, it works. I have 16 cards in 16 systems that all exhibit the same behavior. Looks like an x86_64 SMP timing issue of some kind to me, and less of a card issue. Please correct me if I am wrong!

-Dormando