Re: [patch 11/26] IPOB: Move destructor from neigh->ops to neigh_param

From: Roland Dreier <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:42:20 -0700

>     David> You were using an interface in an unintended way.
>
> There were a lot of opportunities to suggest a better way or even just
> raise the alarm when IPoIB was first being reviewed.  And I don't
> remember anyone giving any guidance or insight into the neighbour
> destructor design the three or four times Michael raised the issue of
> the IPoIB crash and posted this patch for review....

If I thought your change was appropriate for 2.6.16 I would have put
it into that tree back then.  Instead, I did not consider it
appropriate, that's why we decided to put it into 2.6.17

Nothing since then has changed the situation.

> If this patch is too risky for -stable, that's fine.  But let's be
> clear that it _does_ fix a panic people hit in practice, and as far as
> I know it doesn't break the ATM build

I think it's too risky.  It fixes a panic for infiniband.

I think you should not have submitted such a core networking change to
-stable without passing it by netdev CC:'ing me first.