Re: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] PlugSched-6.3.1 for 2.6.16-rc5

Al Boldi wrote:
Peter Williams wrote:
Al Boldi wrote:
Control parameters for the scheduler can be read/set via files in:

/sys/cpusched/<scheduler>/
The default values for spa make it really easy to lock up the system.
Which one of the SPA schedulers and under what conditions?  I've been
mucking around with these and may have broken something.  If so I'd like
to fix it.

spa_no_frills, with a malloc-hog less than timeslice. Setting promotion_floor to max unlocks the console.

OK, you could also try increasing the promotion interval.

It should be noted that spa_no_frills isn't really expected to behave very well as it's a pure round robin scheduler. It's intended purpose is as a basis for more sophisticated schedulers. I've been thinking about removing it as a bootable scheduler and only making its children available but I find it useful to compare benchmark and other test results from it with that from the other schedulers to get an idea of the extra costs involved.

Similarly, zaphod is really just a vehicle for trying different ideas and the spa_ws, spa_svr and spa_ebs are the ones intended for use on real systems. Of these, spa_svr isn't very good for interactive systems as it is designed to maximize throughput on a server (it actually beats spa_no_frills by about 1% on kernbench) which isn't always compatible with good interactive response.

Thanks,
Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce