Re: [ck] swap prefetching merge plans

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 07:57:56 -0400
Spike <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:04:36 +1100
> Con Kolivas <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:53 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > A look at the -mm lineup for 2.6.17:
> >
> > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching.patch
> > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-fix.patch
> > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-tweaks.patch
> >
> > >   Still don't have a compelling argument for this, IMO.
> >
> > For those users who feel they do have a compelling argument for it, please
> > speak now or I'll end up maintaining this in -ck only forever.  I've come to
> > depend on it with my workloads now so I'm never dropping it. There's no point
> > me explaining how it is useful yet again, though, because I just end up
> > looking like I'm handwaving. It seems a shame for it not to be available to
> > all linux users.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Con
>

> As a gamer it really makes wonders. That's really all I can say because
> swap prefetching is such a simple logical thing that one does not need
> to go into details as its been said so many times over and over again
> before. Having something like this is beneficial to desktop users.
>
> I suppose support for 1000 some odd CPU's in the kernel is really useful
> as well for most people....
>
> One can go on and on with the examples, as I seen over the years it
> seems to just depend on what the few major maintainers want and not
> what the public finds actually useful.
>
> Bren

There has been compelling arguments against dropping swap prefetching
from day one, yet nobody with authority seems to ever take notice.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=113473793117511&w=2

I really loved reading the comment about 2gb of ram when testing and
finding no benefits.

So I assume everyone out there has 2gb of ram or more in this so
perfect world.

Bren