Re: [ck] swap prefetching merge plans

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:04:36 +1100
Con Kolivas <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:53 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > A look at the -mm lineup for 2.6.17:
>
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching.patch
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-fix.patch
> > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-tweaks.patch
>
> >   Still don't have a compelling argument for this, IMO.
>
> For those users who feel they do have a compelling argument for it, please
> speak now or I'll end up maintaining this in -ck only forever.  I've come to
> depend on it with my workloads now so I'm never dropping it. There's no point
> me explaining how it is useful yet again, though, because I just end up
> looking like I'm handwaving. It seems a shame for it not to be available to
> all linux users.
>
> Cheers,
> Con

As a gamer it really makes wonders. That's really all I can say because
swap prefetching is such a simple logical thing that one does not need
to go into details as its been said so many times over and over again
before. Having something like this is beneficial to desktop users.

I suppose support for 1000 some odd CPU's in the kernel is really useful
as well for most people....

One can go on and on with the examples, as I seen over the years it
seems to just depend on what the few major maintainers want and not
what the public finds actually useful.

Bren