Re: Question regarding to store file system metadata in database

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 15:45 -0500, Ian Young wrote:
> Indeed. I think the issue here is that someone doesn't grasp that the
> filesystem is already a database: that in fact path and filenames are
> already metadata, with inode as the pkey, and they are indexed by
> linked lists, b-trees, or hashtables,  just as you might have going on
> inside the "black box" that is a database. The problem is that he
> thinks databases are somehow different because you use SQL to interact
> with them, when in fact the very same things that go on in
> filesystems, are going on in databases, just that with a database, you
> have strict pre-set agreements about what you'll be storing, so you
> can lay it out on-disk more efficiently. In a filesystem, there's no
> guarantee, or way to guarantee "this group of things will always be
> written in 256-word chunks", so it seems like something you could
> optimise using "a database" but it only shows ignorance of what
> exactly databases do. And... I'm fairly sure someone could write a
> SQL-like 'find' implementation in userland, and then you could query
> your "Database".

agree. all fancy/complex algorithm and data structures like trees are
used here already. and with some file systems get ACID as well, it can
be called as a database, if someone really want to call it in that
name. ;)

> A better suggestion would be along the lines of "why don't we
> standardize a common set of metadata types to expand on directory,
> filename, size, mtime, ctime, atime, owner, and group? Why not 'type'
> 'title' 'author' 'revision' 'comment' 'icon' 'readers' 'writers'
> 'executors' 'checksum' etc.. etc...?" Now, THAT's something I'd like
> to see.

that is why we have VFS right?