Re: [Bug? Report] kref problem

Greg KH wrote:
If you use decl_subsys(), you should be fine for this.  Use that instead
of trying to roll your own subsystem kobjects please.  That
infrastructure was written for a reason...
Ok, I see, thanks. I just thought that this subsystem stuff will oblige me to use the device/driver/bus model which does not suit me.

Data (kobjects) have a different lifespan than code (modules).
Seperating them is a good idea, and if not, your reference counting
issues can be quite nasty.  See the recent EDAC fiasco for a good
example of how easy it is to mess things up in this manner.

My logic was that the lifetime of that kobject = lifetime of my module because I cannot remove the module because every it's user increments the module's refcount. So, if refcount of my module is zero then the kobject's refcount is zero. Why this doesn't this work?

Note, I do not object, I agree that in general you're right, I'm just wonering.

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityutskiy,