Re: VMI Interface Proposal Documentation for I386, Part 5

Pavel Machek wrote:
from the hypervisor perspective - if the guest enables interrupts, and you have something pending to deliver, for correctness, you have to deliver it, right now. But does the kernel truly require that interrupt deliver immediately - in most cases, no. In particular, on the fast

I'd say PCI hardware can delay interrupts for any arbitrary
delay... so if driver expects to get them "immediately", I'd say it is
broken. It should be enough to deliver them "soon enough", like not
more than 1msec late...

I agree. One case we hit that did cause us a bug was local APIC delivery of self-IPIs. I didn't dig too deep into why Linux was unhappy without immediate delivery (we deferred delivery here unnecessarily, but did not stop it). I believe this was in SMP specific code that was using self-IPIs to regenerate IRQs .

Zach