Re: Patch: MSI-K8T-Neo2-Fir OnboardSound and additional Soundcard

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 10:41:29PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 20:28 +0100, Johannes Goecke wrote:
> > - how to enshure that the code is executed ONLY on excactly this kind
> > of boards
> >  (not any other with similar Chipset)?
> >
> > - what to do to (hopefully) integrate that pice of code into
> >   one of the next Kernel Releases?
> >

> This has been discussed on LKML recently, it's not 2.6.16 material
> because it might break working setups when the previously disabled
> device becomes the default sound card.  Of course the same setup would
> have broken if we added a driver for a previously unsupported soundcard,
> so I'm not sure how this fits in with the "don't break userspace" rule.

would it be useful to add a compile-time-option and additionally
a kernel-command-line option for some bogus-code like

if ( commandline-enable || compiletime-enable )
{
	/* Enable all Soundcards- Found */
}

?

- no default behaviour is changed
- general purpose Kernels can have Quirks integrated if needed

> IMHO it should be merged post 2.6.16.
>
> Lee

Johannes Goecke

PS:
can someone give me a (kernel-programming-beginner-level) hint, for the first
question how to ensure to only execute if running on the right Mother-board?
Af far as I believe the quirk so-far only checks the cipset, so it might
behave wrong on other Mainborads!