Re: [2.6.16-rc5-m3 PATCH] inotify: add the monitor for the event source

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
it breaks ABI because this structure is communicated to userspace, and
you change both the layout and the size of it. What else would ABI
mean??
Many structures exported to user space in kernel are undergoing some change, A good application shouldn't count on invariability forever,
My test application hasn't any problem before change and after change.

this is absolutely incorrect. This is an ABI that cannot change in any
incompatible way.
but... what makes you think it's not a kernel thread such as kjournald?
(which have basically meaningless current)
you can get values of these fields without any problem for kernel thread although they are useless.

exactly

there is no "full path name" concept in linux like that. And even worse,
many processes will not have *any* path because they have been deleted,
especially the viruses will use this ;)
For this case you said, this patch has now way really, do you have a good way to handle this case?

it sounds that what you want to achieve is broken in the first place...
(or should use audit etc)
As I known, BSD process audit only can be done inside a process, and audit result is just visible after termination of this process, if an application wants to monitor all the processes, it has no way. My patch provides such a way bases on inotify with minimal work, it should be an good extension for
inotify although it can't cover all the cases.