RE: hugepage: Strict page reservation for hugepage inodes

David Gibson wrote on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:52 PM
> But I don't see that recording all the mapped ranges will avoid the
> need for the fault serialization.  At least the version of apw's
> reservation patch I looked at most recently would certainly still
> suffer from the alloc/instantiate race on the last hugepage in the
> system.

No, it doesn't.  Because with strict commit accounting, you know that
every hugetlb page is accounted for.  So there is no backout path for
multiple instantiation race.  Thread that lost in the race will always
accounted in a global variable, total hugetlb pool won't fall below
what was reserved plus what is in use.  Even if sys admin tries to
reduce hugetlb pool, kernel won't release any pages that are reserved.

- Ken