Re: [OT] inotify hack for locate

On 3/7/06, Lee Revell <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 10:31 +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> > As for the non-existent virus problem - it is mostly prevented
> > by users not being administrators.  And you can go further
> > with a readonly /usr and a noexec /home.

> I believe he is referring to using Linux systems to provide virus
> scanning services for mail, NFS, SMB etc. clients, rather than to virus
> scanning for the Linux desktop (which is indeed a non problem).

Sure. I wasn't hand waving an muttering about virus problems on Linux
desktops everywhere.

Anyway. Seems a couple of us are interested in having something more
generic at the VFS level to notify userspace about particular events
of interest (recursively registering a watcher on every directory is
silly). I really should go scope out some of the existing projects
that cover this before I decide what to do. This kind of thing should
be in mainline IMHO.

Jon.