Re: [2.6 patch] make UNIX a bool

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:40:17PM +0100, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On 3/2/06, Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I believe the basic question is this: What do we win by making
> > > CONFIG_UNIX a bool?
> >
> > We do not have to export symbols we don't want to export to modules but
> > needed by CONFIG_UNIX.
> >

> I'm probably exposing my ignorance here, but, what symbols would those be?
>
> and does it outweigh the harm done to people who want or need
> CONFIG_UNIX modular ?

Can anyone bring real life examples for this pretended harm?

All examples I have heard until now fall under one of the following:
- CONFIG_MODULES=n wouldn't be worse
- if you want your kernel to fit on a floppy, CONFIG_UNIX shouldn't be
  the thing making the difference between the kernel fitting on the
  floppy and the kernel not fitting on the floppy

And I'm surprised that everyone thinks the world would stop turning if
the kernel image size is increased by CONFIG_UNIX=y, but the same people
were quiet when during the 2.5 development the discarding of __exit code
moved from link time to run time on some architectures (e.g. i386)
making the kernel image size bigger for everyone.

Is there much FUD in this thread or why do people pretend to care in the
CONFIG_UNIX case but don't care when the __exit code is discarded?

> Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.