Re: [RFC] vfs: cleanup of permission()

Trond Myklebust wrote:
the second part is actually a hack to help nfs and fuse
to get the 'required' information until there is a proper
interface (at the vfs not inode level) to pass relevant
information (probably dentry/vfsmount/flags)
The nameidata _IS_ the vfs structure for storing path context
information. You seem to be suggesting we need yet another one. Why?

Because you can't make a nameidata without a lookup, and file based operations don't do a lookup. However you still have the vfsmnt and inode hanging off the file struct.

Either that or we make a dummy nameidata structure for this situation, possibly a filehandle relative lookup as used by openat() et al.

Secondly, an intent is _not_ a permissions mask by any stretch of the
imagination.
see above
IOW: at the very least make that intent flag a separate parameter.
IMHO it would be good to remove them completely form the
current permission() checks.
Vetoed!
Redundant RPC calls have performance costs to the client, the server and
the network. That intent information is there in order to allow the
filesystem to figure out whether or not it needs to do the permissions
check, or if that check is already being done by other operations.
Removing the intents are therefore not an option.

OK, so we either make it an extra parameter or 'properly' stack them into a single word. Do you have any preferences either way there?

Sam.