Re: LibPATA code issues / 2.6.15.4

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Mark Lord wrote:

Eric D. Mudama wrote:
those drives should support all FUA opcodes properly, both queued and unqueued

His first drive (sda) does not support queued commands at all,
but the newer firmware in his second drive (sdb) does support NCQ.

Both drives support FUA.

cheers

To trust or not to trust?

I have a 400GB SATA drive: WDC WD4000KD-00N. With these errors in dmesg that have been mentioned throughout the thread, should I trust Linux using this drive, or should I remove it/wait until a patch is released to address this issue?

Also, in the forums (storagereview.com I believe), it has been noted that these drives do NOT work on the Intel ICH5 controller, and this turned out to be true, when I put it on the Intel ICH5, the box stalls for 2-3 minutes and then it does not see the drive. However, on the Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 chipset or Promise SATA/150 TX2 it works okay but it has those errors in dmesg.

My question is, performing long and short smart tests, everything is physically ok with the drive; however, I probably should not use this drive for anything important in Linux, comments?

Justin.