Re: LibPATA code issues / 2.6.15.4

Mark Lord wrote:

sdb: Current: sense key: Medium Error
    Additional sense: Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 398283329
raid1: Disk failure on sdb2, disabling device.
        Operation continuing on 1 devices
..
The command failing above is SCSI WRITE_10, which is being
translated into ATA_CMD_WRITE_FUA_EXT by libata.

This command fails -- unrecognized by the drive in question.
But libata reports it (most incorrectly) as a "medium error",
and the drive is taken out of service from its RAID.

Bad, bad, and worse.

.. hold off on 2.6.16 because of this or not?

Well, no doubt whatsoever about it being a "regression",
since the FUA code is *new* in 2.6.16 (not present in 2.6.15).

The FUA code should either get fixed, or removed from 2.6.16.

Actually, now that I've done a little more digging, this FUA stuff
is inherently dangerous as implemented.  A least a few SATA controllers
including pipelines and whatnot that rely upon recognizing the (S)ATA
opcodes being using.  And I sincerely doubt that any of those will
recognize the very newish (and aptly named..) FUA opcodes.

These may be unsafe in general, unless we tag controllers as
FUA-capable and NON-FUA-capable, in addition to tagging the drives.

:/