Re: o_sync in vfat driver

On Feb 28, 2006, at 17:38:55, Pavel Machek wrote:
I have seen flash disk dead in 5 minutes, even without o-sync. Those devices are often crap. (I copied tar file to flash by cat foo.tar > /dev/sda. That was apparently enough to kill that flash. Label "Yahoo" should have warned me).

Sometimes a flash device can have a temporary error condition that is solved by rewriting the data. (I've seen it triggered by buggy USB hubs that don't provide the rated power). It seems that a number of flash drives have internal checks, and when those trigger it reports a bad sector (even if it isn't permanently bad). My 1GB flashdrive failed in that way, and I was able to fix the error by erasing with "dd if=/dev/full of=/dev/usbkey" and reformatting. After the error occurred I started md5summing every file I put on the drive, but I've been using it for a month now and not a single checksum has miscomputed.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett