Re: Kernel SeekCompleteErrors... Different from Re: LibPATA code issues / 2.6.15.4

* Mark Lord ([email protected]) wrote:

> >>Nope.  Different issues.
> >I have changed the Subject line to indicate this so any future responses
> >can be indicated.

> >>The disk really does have bad sectors in this case (above).
> >The disk has NO bad sectors. It has been checked using two different tests.
>
> The *only* test that matters is to enable S.M.A.R.T.,
> and read out the error logs from it.

I have seen a set of drives that has reported UncorrectableErrors
and :
    * Shows the Uncorrectable error in the SMART log
    * Passes a full SMART test
    * Shows no remapped sectors
    * Passes the vendors drive test
    * Now fully passes a dd if=/dev/hdx of=/dev/null with no errors.

They were a set of 250GB SATA drives by the same vendor; I've taken
 them out one at a time as each did the same thing and replaced them
with another vendors drive.  They were all in use in RAID-1 MD
configuration (under heavy load).

I do wonder about the 'uncorrectable error rate' that vendors report;
it doesn't seem very large - but I'll admit to not understanding its
units.  Are soft non-repeatable uncorrectable errors expected in
principal? (Pointers to a good explanation of what this actually
means would be appreciated).

I do wonder how often this happens to people and if the read succeeds
again they just blame it on software.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /