Re: 2.6.16-rc4: known regressions

They are very reluctant to upgrade kernels today, for released versions
of the distro, and so they backport kernel fixes and security updates to
that older kernel, just like all of the packages in a distro.  That's
they way they work.

But they work together with mainline as they need it for their _next_
release that happens again in 6 months or so, with the updated kernel
and everything else.

I don't think that's universally true at all, either from my own observations, or that of others I have talked to.

What I see is people operating in their own silos, and being terrified
to upgrade because they have no idea what random breakage will have
occured in mainline. When they get into that mode, the not only don't
suck new kernels down, they don't push their own changes up.

That's not healthy, and whatever we can do to encourage them to play
with the rest of the world more nicely would be healthy, I think.

M.