Re: [2.6 patch] make INPUT a bool

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 01:01:21PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:10:01AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Except for the X86_P4_CLOCKMOD case, all of your examples are correct
> > usages of EMBEDDED.
>
> ahem, well, then I'm definitely doing something
> wrong when I disable the VGA console on my 2GB
> servers, as "there's no reason to enable EMBEDDED
> when building a kernel for systems with > 50 MB RAM"
>
> sorry, I kind of disagree here, this might be useful
> for embedded systems, but it is definitely useful
> for other systems as well ... at least I do not like
> the 'assumption' that every system with >50MB has
> to have a VGA console ...
>
> I agree that the 0815 distro will not need this and
> it can be hidden behind some option ...

It's not assumed that every system with > 50 MB has a VGA console.

These are options where accidentially disabling only causes problems for
the majority of users.

You can enable EMBEDDED on your 2 GB servers if you really want to save
a few bytes in the kernel, but OTOH I doubt there is much practival
value in reducing the kernel for a system with 2 GB RAM by a few kB.

> best,
> Herbert

cu
Adrian