Re: No sound from SB live!

On Sunday 19 February 2006 20:31, you wrote:

> > > Sounds like you have 2 different alsactls installed.  The ALSA default
> > > one saves the mixer state in /etc/asound.state but lots of distros hack
> > > it up to save the state somewhere under /var.
> > >
> > > Use "alsactl -f" to force a restore of mixer state even if the mixer
> > > controls have changed (distros should do this by default but don't).
> >
> > Lee,
> >
> > Everybody here keeps saying that to me - I _don't_ have two alsactl's, I
> > _don't_ have 2 asound.states (or more/any other alsactl files).
> >
> > My base is Slackware 10 - a pretty clean distro.
> >
> > Tonight my MIC is not working again from a reboot, and I can't get it
> > going like I did before (??)...
> >
> > Every reboot 'alsactl restore' breaks on one control or another now.
> >
> > You mean -F too?  I don't understand why I should have to use --force.
> >
> > It's a mystery?
>
> Sorry, no idea.  You'll have to do a binary search with ALSA CVS to find
> out exactly when it broke.

I have a mystery here guys.

Tonight I tested.  I set up my system so that both sudo and root could
`alsactl store/restore' using -f to explicitly use /etc/asound.state.

Once both user and root could store/restore with no errors, and all my apps
work (midi, mic, KDE sound etc. etc.) I made /etc/asound.state immutable:

nick@linuxamd:nick$ lsattr /etc/asound.state
----i-------- /etc/asound.state

I then edited /etc/rc.d/rc/alsa to use the -f and expilicity point
to /etc/asound.state

Rebooted...

/usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:894: warning: name mismatch (Mic Select/3D
Control Sigmatel - Depth) for control #74
/usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:896: warning: index mismatch (0/0) for control
/usr/sbin/alsactl: set_control:994: bad control.74.value type

Heh.  Every reboot I get a different control error.  But why it all works OK
before a reboot with the same very /etc/asound.state file I don't know.

Nick
--
"Person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt person doing it."
-Chinese Proverb