Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Sat, Feb 18 2006, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 01:37:15PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > * Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]> [2006-02-18 12:06]:
> > > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
> >
> > Nice.  Is that a stable interface people can rely on (seems this me it
> > should rather be in sys)?  I maintain a tool in Debian to rip/encode
> > audio CDs with one command and we could use this file to find the CD
> > interface if it's not specified by the user.
>
> I think it's pretty stable.  Except for adding new capabilities it's been
> unchanged since the 2.2.x days.
>
> Maybe Jens can comment more on it?

Yeah it's stable, new entries have been added at the end if necessary. I
don't necessarily think it's a super way to find these things out,
sometimes older SCSI drives fail some of the mode sense / capability
probing and don't show correct values. So one could do better in user
space.

But at least it's a generic way to see which devices have been
registered as CDROM's, if that is the goal.

--
Jens Axboe